Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins








Title: The Girl on the Train
Author: Paula Hawkins

Publisher: Riverhead
Released Date: January 13th 2015
Format: Hardcover (336 pages)
Genre: Mystery, Thriller


 
A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

A compulsively readable, emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller that draws comparisons to Gone Girl, The Silent Wife, or Before I Go to Sleep, this is an electrifying debut embraced by readers across markets and categories.

I am on a readers block for the longest time ever. I have tried to free myself from this hiatus,  I would grab hold a book, turn the pages read a little but to no avail leave it behind until dust covers it up. I just can't. I don't know why. My books fell unloved for months and months. I can't remember the last time. 

But all things come to an end when I grab hold of Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train. (*squeals* thank you!)   Whoa! This book is impossible to put down. If you have read Gone Girl, this is another Gone Girl experience that is worth the ride. Fast paced, psychological thriller, very engrossing and a must read book. An alcoholic, A good liar, A bitch, A control freak, A possessive lover, An unreliable character, adultery name it this book has it. If I were to be a detective, I would be so bad at it because I accused everyone. The twist and turns and the story itself is absolutely amazing.It's worth the ticket to the train ride. 

Rating : 4/5


Paula Hawkins worked as a journalist for fifteen years before turning her hand to fiction.

Born and brought up in Zimbabwe, Paula moved to London in 1989 and has lived there ever since. The Girl on the Train is her first thriller.




No comments:

Post a Comment